Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Just the two of us...well...2 1/2

This 4th of July Matt and I vacationed on our own while our kids vacationed at grandma and grandpas in St. George. We had a blast and it was very relaxing. I loved it!

Solvang, Ca. Cute little Dutch town we went to on the 4th. They had a huge fair going on and everyone in the town was out. Here are a few buildings from our stop there.



Then we went to Cambria. (a cute little beach town) This is Matt eating the famous ollalieberry pie. It was yummy!

We joined the town in a firework celebration on the beach.

Pictures of our bed and breakfast we stayed in. (we took better photos on our 35 mm camera but haven't developed them yet...these will do)



It was so nice to wake up to this breakfast outside our door. We just sat and ate it in our pajamas in the quiet. So relaxing!

Rock and seashell hunting on the beach. It was foggy and chilly but really beautiful.

We saw a lot of starfish but they were all alive so we spared them and left them behind. The kids would've loved seeing them.


Hearst Castle. Again, better photos with our other camera but here are a few. This house was amazing. A lot of walking for me and HOT but it was well worth it.

The dining room

The indoor swimming pool that was lined with gold.

We were going to head home but made a last minute decision to visit our friends Andrew and Susie in San Jose. It was fun being spontaneous. We toured The Golden Gate Park in San Fransisco and enjoyed being with our friends for the day.

Andrews best friend Shannon and her roommate were there visiting too. This is us with buffalo behind us...hard to see but they're there.

The rose gardens that smelled amazing. We rested there for an hour or so and took a nap. Soooo relaxing.

I don't remember the last time I relaxed so much. It was so nice to be with Matt for the weekend and just enjoy each other and doing things the kids would hate. They are both having a blast with all their grandparents. I sent them with disposable cameras. Can't wait to see what fun moments they captured. Thanks grandmas and grandpas for letting us have this one last get away before baby comes. We can't thank you enough.

10 comments:

Jean said...

Looks like a great vacay!! Oh my gosh, Tim and I totally took a vacation to Cambria a couple months ago. We ate olallieberry pie like every day, and we also toured the Hearst Castle. It's so pretty up there!! We loved it.

Mark and Niki said...

Wow that is insane!!! It is so beautiful, I bet it was super relaxing to go minus two little ones too!!!!

Lesley said...

looks like you guys had a blast. Man what would i give for a week of rest.....as i type that Austin is shoving a real snake skin in my face....find a happy place, find a happy place.

lyndsey said...

what a fun little trip! that b&b looks awesome. we've actually been semi-planning a little solvang-area trip for a while now...you'll have to give me more details the next time i see you :)

dana said...

So much fun!!! I'm glad you got a little weekend alone. Always needed. Now if you can just work another one in a couple months AFTER the baby :)

Hillary said...

Hey, I know that windmill. We made a death defying traffic move across three lanes of traffic to turn left at that windmill a couple weeks ago. Looks like you were able to see it with much more ease....

B Brown said...

No wonder it feels like I haven't seen you in 4ever! You're off on some romantic getaway sans children. So Nice of Gma and Gpa to take them for a couple days. Isn't Hearst Castle amazing. I can't believe someone really lived like that.

Holly said...

Niki, I love reading your blogs. It looks like you had so much fun on your trip, I am jealous, I need one of those right about now! Good luck with baby, hope to see lots of pictures!

La La Land said...

I'm so glad you got to get away and relax! Oh, and Solvang is a Danish town (I know because I am Danish and was SO excited to go there), but everything they sell there is Dutch. It pissed me off!

Kizzycakes said...

good for you guys!!! i'm so glad you got away alone before #3 comes along. so jealous. what a great trip.