Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A year ago today

A year ago today I ran my first (and so far only) marathon. I can't believe it's been a year. Oh how things have changed in my life. I had been wanting to run a marathon my whole life. I always knew I would do it but when I would talk about, it was like no one ever thought I would really do it. Which, since I'm so stubborn, made me want to do it even more. I found a great running partner (Annie Koop) who had ran 14 marathons and was willing to let me tag along for this life time experience. Little did I know how amazingly difficult and totally rewarding it would be. I have never pushed myself so hard, and still had 6 miles to go. Not only was the race challenging, the training was very intense. It was the hardest thing I have ever put myself through (and I have my babies natural) but also completely empowering. For about a month after, I remember feeling like there was nothing I couldn't do. I felt in total control of my life and very accomplished. It was so fun to see Matt and Max cheering me on at the half way mark. I was fighting back tears the whole time. The last 2 miles my body was DONE! I couldn't believe I had talked myself into this. Why do people do this? It was INSANE! Then after I crossed the finish line, I collapsed in my sisters arms and sobbed. I did it! I said I was going to, and I did. Amazing! I will never forget it and I can't wait to do it again. It's a sickness and I love it.

This was all the runners, and Matt and Max, carb. loading at the Macaroni Grill the night before the race. I somehow talked all of them into running this with me. Fools!




Myself, sister Michelle, and sister-in-law Joelle the morning of the race (I think it was 4 am) in our cute matching outfits. I loved running in that skirt!



My marathon running family...Matt, Joelle, Me, Michelle and Aaron. (who kicked all our butts)




Still dark outside. This was us stretching just before the race started.




Walking to the starting line. I was sooo nervous. My bladder was out of control at this point :)




This was me at mile 8. I was still feeling really good and as you can tell, very focused. (I wonder what song I was listening to)




Just before my meltdown. We did it! I couldn't believe it was finally over but at the same time, I couldn't believe it was already over. Very emotional.




We survived! I couldn't walk for 3 or 4 days (ask Christy Westover, she saw me waddling around) but after the pain went away I was plotting my next race. Little did I know I would be 7 1/2 months pregnant a year later. I'll have to wait but I will do it again as soon as I can. Watch out Kylee and Andrea, I'm planning on talking you both into running the next one with me.

6 comments:

dana said...

Okay, are you the most fashionable cute runners ever? I love the skirts with blue tanks and in the sweatshirt pic, you guys are a rainbow of running flavors.
Congrats (a year late) on running your marathon! I seriously can't believe it's been a year since you did that. Seems just like yesterday!

A and J said...

I'm in! I can't wait to do it again. I really want to run Salt Lake again next year and St. George. Crazy as it sounds there is nothing like crossing that finish line. The emotions are wild.

Jean said...

WOOHOO NIKI!!!!!!

Love the running skirt. So cute. LOVE it!!

Kylee said...

Im down!

I can't believe that was a year ago already! Weird. Seriously, that seems like yesterday!

Im glad you like the pictures-I'll edit a few more of my favorites and then send it to you.

T.K. said...

Nik your amazing!! I've always wanted to run a marathon the feeling has got to be so great, especially at the finish line. Good job, maybe after the baby another will be ran.

Hillary said...

I get tired walking to the mailbox, so I give you all the kudos in the world!